ADAA has developed guidelines of best clinical practices for mental health disorders, summarizing first- and second-line evidence-based psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy, as well as other types of treatment.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
Find links to articles in Psychiatric News, fact sheets, and videos that explain the new organization and features of the DSM-5 and the diagnostic differences between DSM-IV-TR and DSM-5; visit this page to purchase the DSM-5 and for updates. You can also download the table of contents and insurance implications.
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Practice Parameter for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Anxiety Disorders
- Practice Parameter for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Practice Parameter for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Bipolar Disorder
- Practice Parameter for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Depressive Disorders
- Practice Parameter for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
American Psychiatric Association
The American Psychiatric Association website lists practice guidelines that provide evidence-based recommendations for the assessment and treatment of psychiatric disorders.
For more details, visit these web pages:
- Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Substance Use Disorders
- Suicidal Behaviors
Department of Veterans Affairs
- Free Online Continuing Education series: 9 new free trainings to help meet the needs of returning veterans and their families; Thursdays, March 14 to May 2, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm ET (or via archive)
- Best Practice Manual for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Compensation and Pension Examinations
- Complementary and Alternative Treatments for PTSD
- PTSD 101 Courses: Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) and PTSD
Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT)
This site supports clinicians learning and implementing IPSRT, making the following available free of charge with registration:
- Eight-hour online training course
- Video interviews with IPSRT experts and role-plays of IPSRT sessions
- Downloadable IPSRT tracking tools, instruments for assessing symptoms of bipolar disorder, and other forms and materials
- Message board for IPSRT practitioners to share ideas and ask questions
- A place to share useful materials and files with other IPSRT clinicians
- Links to reputable IPSRT-related sites
Master's Level Videos
Watch Treating Anxiety Disorders, a six-part educational video series created to train master's-level clinicians.
- Part 1: The Power of Anxiety
- Part 2: Treatment and Recovery: One Patient's Story
- Part 3: Medications and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Part 4: What Is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
- Part 5: Implementing Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Part 6: Complementary Approaches
National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention
A Prioritized Research Agenda for Suicide Prevention: An Action Plan to Save Lives
Outline of the 30 research areas showing the most promise that could help decrease the number of suicide attempts as well as deaths in the United States, produced by the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention’s Research Prioritization Task Force of the National Institutes of Health. The goal for this agenda is that researchers will use it regarding the types of research they conduct in the future, funding organizations, family members, policymakers, and other interested individuals to advocate for the field of suicide prevention research.
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NIH)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders Patient Health Questionnaire
Suicide Screening Questions for the Emergency Department for Pediatric and Young Adults(NIMH)
CBT for Anxiety Disorders and Depression: CBT for GAD, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder, depression, and bipolar disorder
Updated July 27, 2015