Special interest groups (SIGs) provide a forum within ADAA for the involvement of members with a common interest in a particular disorder, treatment, or research. The goal is to encourage collaboration, communication, education, research, mentoring, and networking focused on anxiety and mood disorders, OCD, and PTSD.
- Child and Adolescent Anxiety — Ruth [at] ruthlippin [dot] com (Ruth Lippin, LCSW, JD), DrKLewis33 [at] gmail [dot] com (Krystal Lewis, PhD), labonin [at] texaschildrens [dot] org (Liza Bonin, PhD), and cmszab01 [at] louisville [dot] edu (Colette Szabo-Long, BA)
- Early Career Professionals and Students — terri [dot] barrera [at] gmail [dot] com (Terri Barrera, PhD), skhalsa [at] laureateinstitute [dot] org (Sahib Khalsa, MD), Emilybilek [at] gmail [dot] com (Emily Bilek, MS), and bomyea [at] hotmail [dot] com (Jessica Bomyea, PhD)
- Genetics and Neuroscience — John Hettema, MD, PhD, and Kerry Ressler, MD, PhD
- Multicultural — Carmela Alcantara, PhD, and Sarah Hayes-Skelton, PhD
- PTSD — Sheila Rauch, PhD, and Matthew T. Tull, PhD
ADAA encourages SIGs to meet virtually and in person at the annual conference. SIGs are encouraged to propose symposia and workshops for the conference and consider activities that may be completed in addition to the conference, e.g. a video on anxiety disorders presented to social work education programs, online webinar for public or professional education, or web content.
SIGs are ADAA committees and are expected to act in support of the organization’s mission and follow the committee guidelines. SIGs may not act as spokespersons for the organization. SIG members and officers must be ADAA members in good standing; failure to renew membership will result in immediate removal from group activities and office.
- Provide a description of the group’s purpose and scope of activities to be approved by the Board of Directors before any business is conducted.
- Elect a chair and vice chair to serve one year renewable terms.
- Meet and update a plan of action annually.
- Recruit members and maintain a core network of 15 members.
- Accept as members any professional or student member of ADAA who is interested in the topic.
- Elect a chair and co-chair, each to serve a one-year term.
- Produce an annual summary of action, activities, and active members in February for Board of Directors to review.