The primary aim of this study is to compare the effectiveness of two lifestyle interventions for improving the outcome of prolonged exposure therapy (PE) for PTSD. Eligible participants will receive free PE for 12 weeks and participate in either a wellness or exercise program (determined by a flip of a coin).
Southern Methodist University
- You have PTSD
- You are between the age of 18 and 54 if female or between ages 18 and 44 if male.
- You have written physician approval/medical clearance to participate in an exercise protocol.
- Are currently taking no psychotropic medications or are able and willing to discontinue these medications prior to the first PE session.
- You are currently participating in a structured exercise program
- You have severe depression
- You have any history of bipolar disorder, psychotic disorder, or obsessive compulsive disorder;
- You have a diagnosis of eating disorder, or substance abuse or dependence (excluding nicotine) within the past six months
- You have any history of a suicide attempt, or are at significant risk of self-harm or harm to others
- You have ever been diagnosed with organic brain syndrome, mental retardation, or other cognitive dysfunction
Mark B Powers, PhD, 214-768-7848, firstname.lastname@example.org; Stephanie Burns, 214-768-4310, email@example.com